Ok, yes, I’ve been bad. Bad to all the blog promises I’ve made of keeping this thing updated.
I’ll make it up to you guys, I promise.;-)
I know it’s not a great excuse but one of the reasons I’ve been so terrible with my updates is that I HATE my laptop. You really can’t go from a MacBook Air to a clunky, two seasons ago touch screen HP. It tries, but it’s just not the same. But enough complaining.
It’s finally nice out. Still chilly, dammit, but the sun is restorative. I’m sitting on the covered deck with my coffee, soon to get ready for work, and Sunday doesn’t seem so bad. Sunday actually being Wednesday for me. Mondays and Tuesdays are busy on the business end (liquor orders, meetings with reps) but low key on the dinner service side so they’re a decent lead in to my days off.
Chad is opening a new restaurant. I’m going to be working with him to get it all set up– accounts, purchasing, in-house procedures, etc– and I’m jazzed. Obviously, going to Hopkins for writing, I never thought I’d develop a career in restaurant management but the last year or so, I’ve been digging it and hope it pans out for a future. I like meeting people, the variety of the work, making connections, and of course, the food. La Food Marketa (I know… just… it’s fine) is going to be incredible. Coming to Quarry Lake, we hope, in September. It’s going to be a busy summer and that’s alright with me.
What I’m reading:
- Not the news. For a couple of months I woke up every morning and I read my heavily curated news feed. But then I started to develop a serious rage about everything and I realized that it was all just variations on a theme and I should stop being pissed about it and just try to fix what I could around me.
- The Martian by Andy Weir (still). It’s so good and I love it but I find that I lose focus trying to read a physical book, lately. I can’t really read it at work, so I just focus on this I can read on my Kindle app on my phone.
- Warriors of the Storm by Bernard Cornwell. I finished this last week. It’s the latest in the series of Saxon Tales that I started reading years ago. People bitched about this one but I liked it. Uhtred gets to be badass and SPOILER Brida finally dies. What’s not to love?
- Sea of Poppies by Amitav Ghosh. It’s a historical fiction about the development of the heroin trade. It’s gorgeous and long as hell. Currently what I’m working on via Kindle during my end of night dinner at the Market.
Game of Thrones is finally back tonight. We’ve all been taking bets on when Jon Snow (who is clearly not dead) will show up. I’m saying last episode before the break in some super infuriating way that will bum everyone out.Feel free to email me with guesses.
Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt season 2 is also out, which I think Ryan and I will watch after we finish How I Met Your Mother. I think we have like 6 episodes left.
Still can’t talk about The Walking Dead season finale. Too angry.
I think I’m going to start doing haul videos. I’ve been trying a lot of new products and finding new things that I’m jazzed about. A girl I work with told me to make a video and talk about them and put it on youtube or a blog. So… maybe. With all that down time I have.
I’ll leave you with 10 songs I’m deeply digging at the moment
- “Siri, Open Tinder” by Childbirth. “Shirtless/ Swipe Left. Gym rat/ Swipe left. Dreadlocks / Swipe left. Spaghetti straps/ Swipe left/ Siri/ Open Tinder!”
- “Work” by Rihanna. I had to calmly ‘splain to a girl that she is in fact speaking patois, not gibberish. The beat, Drake, it’s just good.
- “Disparate Youth” by Santigold. I don’t know why I was so late to the Santigold game. I saw her perform “Can’t Get Enough of Myself” on Fallon and was like, “man, she is great.”
- “Yoga” by Janelle Monae. It’s on my gym playlist (so are all of these so far, actually). And it just makes me laugh. She’s massively smart, obviously, but doesn’t take herself too seriously.
- “10,000 Emerald Pools” by Borns. It’s just so beautiful. His voice…
- “Whare Are U Now” by Skrillex ft. the Biebs & Diplo. Just… Ok? Come on. When the distort his voice on the second “Where are u now?”, it kills me.
- “Fashionable People” by Joel Plaskett Emergency. Reminds me of so many people, just life in Baltimore.
- “Rosalita (Come Out Tonight)” by Bruce Springsteen. He just played here and I didn’t get to go and I’m so worried I’ll never see him concert. Oh, the Boss.
- “The Creator” by Pete Rock & C.L. Smooth. It was on my Discover Weekly from Spotify a couple weeks ago. I totally forgot about Pete Rock (I know), and I’ve bee listening to it like every other day since then. The sample, tho!
- (Obviously)- “Let’s Go Crazy” by Prince. RIP to one of the greats of music. While it didn’t hit me like Bowie did, it still took the wind out of my sales. Prince was one of the people who shaped my understanding of music and the wide range capable in one artist. I’ll miss presence but always remember, “Game: Blouses.
- Bonus Track: “Whatta Man” by Salt n Peppa- Another gym playlist hit (if you have Spotify, just add me). Since I saw Deadpool, I’ve been mixing them in to most playlists I have, honestly. Old school, sassy betches.
Alright, that’s it. Later.